Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Money, Money, Money



"All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income."

Samuel Butler

Interviewer: "So tell me, Michael, why do you want to go into sales?"

Me: So I can make a lot of money.

Interviewer: Next.

What the heck? I mean, seriously, why does anybody want to go into sales? The answer is really simple, because they want to make a lot of money, buy lots of nice things, own nice cars, buy big houses, stay up to date on all the latest gadgets, pick up the most bar tabs, get the hottest girl and basically portray the image of having more money than their peers. At least that is what I think.

But there are plenty of other reasons, I am told. For the autonomy. There is no other occupation where you can "run your own company" without the associated risks of actually owning your own company.

There is also the sense of accomplishment that comes from making a big sale. Especially on a sale that came from a client that you completely cultivated yourself, starting with that initial cold call and ending with that big sale.

What about for the sense of self worth? Knowing that you have clients depending on you makes you feel pretty important.

What else? Why else do people go into sales? Maybe another reason is because you don't have to be on your "A" game every single day. Sometimes, you just really feel like crap and you don't want to work. Other times, its 72 degrees and sunny outside and it just feels like hitting the links would be much better than cold calling.

Or what about the challenge of building a client list from scratch? People say that they need a good challenge to bring out the best of them. I would say there is nothing better than starting with zero clients and working from the ground up.

How about because the old "because I am a people person!" How many times have you heard that one? Too many. What exactly does that mean? How does that qualify you for sales? My Mom is one of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. So she has to be a people person. But she ain't cut out for sales, that's for damn sure.

So lets get back to the main reason why people go into sales. MONEY. Really, when you think about it, there are only a few professions where you can make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. Doctor, Lawyer, High Level C Manager and Sales. I could never be a doctor or lawyer, so that leaves me with C level manager and sales. Right now I am in sales, and someday I hope to be big swinging dick C-something. That way, I can make lots of money and buy lots of things. Along the way, maybe I can gain some self worth and impress the right people.

9 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger Martin McFriend said...

Mo Busy, you ol simp. You shoulda told me that the new blog was up. I just linked yo ass. Also, what is your handle?

As for the post, you are right. If you don't play pro sports, become an A list actor/singer/writer and you aren't a doctor or a lawyer, sales is the only way to amass unlimited wealth. Then again, crime pays.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger sasefina said...

hello? is this thing on?

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger adam brown said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger bernard n. shull said...

hi mate, this is the canadin pharmacy you asked me about: the link

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very happy to uncover this website. I need to to thank you for
ones time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and
i also have you book marked to look at new
information in your site.
My weblog :: search engine optimization india

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quality content is the key to interest the people to pay a quick visit
the web site, that's what this website is providing.

Have a look at my web site: dumbbell exercises

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up, just wanted to mention, I enjoyed this article. It was practical. Keep on posting!

Look into my site; MuratTavman

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital
to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
Anyway I will be subscribing to your augment and even
I achievement you access consistently quickly.

Also visit my blog ... healthy diet plans
my web page :: diet that works

 
At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp credit consolidation
best debt consolidation

 

Post a Comment

<< Home