Sunday, March 12, 2006

Ketchup Popsicles?















Hello, _____, thanks for taking my call. My name is Michael Campbell, and I work for X company, we are the world's largest wholesaler of midrange IT equipment, but the reason for my call is because I was trying to find out if this is an area you handle, or if there was someone in your group that does....

And so I start my first and only blog the same way I start 50 to 100 cold calls every single day. Do you know who I am? No. Do you need my services? Probably not. Am I wasting your time? Most likely. Can I save you money? Damn skippy! Are you going to give me that opportunity? Not on this call.

Sales: A brutal world. The best cliched description: A roller coaster. True, it is so worn out and has been overused by every salesperson out there, but damn it speaks so much truth. I mean, one day, you have six deals in the pipeline and your set to make in one paycheck what most people don't make in a year. Two months later, you have no viable prospects, your best client just left you and your budget goal has been raised and your commission percentage has been cut. DAMN!!!

So goes the life of about 10% of the world. At least that's what they say the percentage of the world that works in sales is. And I would say only 4% of them are even successful. The rest just get recycled through numerous sales jobs throughout their careers, never really finding that perfect position.

So why would I want to be a salesman? Probably a result of my upbringing and my role models: my pops and my older brothers. And maybe that competitive upbringing I had as the youngest of six boys in a family of nine had something to do with it. I mean, growing up, I always pictured myself being a successful salesguy that made tons of money. There was something that always appealed to me about having the autonomy of "running your own business." Because that is basically what sales is. The effort you put in is the reward you get out. One day you are motivated and you go out and make 200 cold calls, clean up your to do list, follow up on hot leads, etc. The next day you might just feel like doing nothing. But it all depends on what you have sold until that date.

So what's the point of this blog? I don't know. Strike that, I do know. Its so you can experience that roller coaster ride I was telling you about earlier. I think I might have mentioned earlier about that competitive nature of mine I was telling you about. Well, here's the deal. I just started my second sales job about six months ago. It has been a very difficult transition. I am still very unpolished and I have a ton to learn about sales. But as is the case with every thing in life, it is a journey that I am excited to take part in. And I would love it if you joined me along the way. I will write about my daily experiences, the ups and downs, the good times and bad. This first year should be a good one. But I am absolutely, positively determined to be successful and to make a lot of money. Along the way, I will tell you what its like to be an invisible salesman.

So stick around, have patience with me, and lets enjoy the ride!

2 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger sasefina said...

Congrats on starting this blog. Hopefully in a year or two you can change the title to "the ubiquitous salesman." :)

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Martin McFriend said...

Moady, you are so earnest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home